What we cover
The programme is tailored to develop and strengthen relevant skills and knowledge. We help managers to understand the social and political context of their own projects, because there is no single solution to restoring degraded mangrove.
Topics covered include:
- The ecology & conservation of mangroves
- Effective tools and strategies for restoration
- Restoration site and species selection
- Measuring and monitoring success
- Stakeholder engagement in restoration
- Importance of mangroves in providing ecosystem services
As the most important lessons are learnt in the mangroves themselves, site visits are key to provide insight into successful nurseries and restoration projects. Participants learn that often the most cost effective way of restoring mangroves is to remove the threat in the first place and allow mangroves to regenerate naturally.
Participants set personal targets that they wish to achieve over the 12 months following the course including submitting mangrove restoration plans.
Who is this course for?
African conservation scientists, project managers and practitioners who are working in mangrove conservation.